Nondegree Seeking Students
If you wish to enroll in a limited number of graduate-level classes on Iowa's campus but are not seeking admission to a degree program, you can apply as a nondegree graduate student to continue your education.
- Submit an online application.
- Most nondegree applicants will be charged a $40 application fee upon enrollment. Exemptions include high school students, Regents Exchange students, and students who are already charged a fee by the sponsoring department (e.g. study abroad). If a fee is charged, it will appear on your first university bill.
- Submit an official transcript showing your baccalaureate (or higher) degree to the Office of Admissions, 108 Calvin Hall, Iowa City, IA 52242-1396. (Current or former UI students do not need to submit UI transcripts.)
- Submit an official TOEFL score report if you are an international student whose first language is not English. (Review the Additional Requirements for International Applicants).
- Your application and any supporting documents should be in the Office of Admissions at least two weeks before classes begin.
- A baccalaureate degree from a Regionally Accredited Institution or an equivalent degree from another country.
- A grade-point average (GPA) of at least 2.50 on a 4.00 scale, or the foreign equivalent.
- Additional Requirements for International Applicants.
- As a graduate nondegree student, you may register for up to two courses per semester, but you can't accumulate more than two courses from any given department or program.
- Credit earned cannot count toward satisfying the residence requirement for a degree.
- You must enroll in courses numbered 3000-level or above to earn graduate credit.
- If you are interested in enrolling as a Law nondegree student, please contact the College of Law first at: email@example.com for their enrollment rules.
Distance and Online Education (nondegree)
- Submit a Distance and Online Student (Nondegree) Application
Important Note: You do NOT have to pay an application fee to complete this application.
- U.S. students: Official transcripts are required as well as meeting a minimum 2.50 (on a 4.00 scale) GPA. (Current or former UI students do not need to submit UI transcripts.)
- International Students only: A minimum GPA of 2.50 or above (on a 4.00 scale) or the foreign equivalent as determined by the Office of Admissions.
Submit official records and degree certificate, translated and untranslated, to the Office of Admissions, 108 Calvin Hall, Iowa City, IA 52242-1396
- A baccalaureate degree from a Regionally Accredited Institution or an equivalent degree from another country
- A minimum GPA of 2.50 on a 4.00 scale.
- You must enroll in courses numbered 3000-level or above to earn graduate credit
- Registration is restricted to courses and workshops offered through Distance and Online Education
- Credit earned cannot count toward satisfying the residence requirement for a degree