Admission Requirements


  • As a graduate nondegree student, you may register for up to two courses per semester, but you can't accumulate more than two courses from any given department or program.
  • Credit earned cannot count toward satisfying the residence requirement for a degree.
  • You must enroll in courses numbered 3000-level or above to earn graduate credit.
  • If you are interested in enrolling as a Law nondegree student, please contact the College of Law first at: for their enrollment rules.

Application Process

  • Submit an online application.
  • Most nondegree applicants will be charged a $40 application fee upon enrollment. Exemptions include high school students, Regents Exchange students, and students who are already charged a fee by the sponsoring department (e.g. study abroad). If a fee is charged, it will appear on your first university bill.
  • Submit an official transcript showing your baccalaureate (or higher) degree to the Office of Admissions, 108 Calvin Hall, Iowa City, IA 52242-1396. (Current or former UI students do not need to submit UI transcripts.)
  • Submit an official TOEFL score report if you are an international student whose first language is not English. (Review the Additional Requirements for International Applicants).
  • Your application and any supporting documents should be in the Office of Admissions at least two weeks before classes begin.

After You Are Admitted

It will take approximately 2-3 days to process your application.

Hawk ID and MyUI—Admitted students will receive a Hawk ID and password to use the web-based self-service center called MyUI. If you forget your Hawk ID, contact Admissions at 319-335-3847 weekdays 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. If you forget your password, request a Password Reset.

Class registration—Before you can register for classes, you must meet with an academic advisor, who will either give you a registration number or clear you for registration. Nondegree students are advised by the Graduate College. Call 319-335-2146 to make an appointment. You will register for classes online using MyUI. Your registration date and time will be displayed when you log in, and you can also view course listings.

Proof of immunity—Admitted students are required to show Proof of Immunity to Measles, Mumps, and Rubella before registering for classes.

Housing—Nondegree students may apply to live in our Residence Halls. Contact University Housing & Dining in Burge Residence Hall for more information, 319-335-3000.

Financial aid—Nondegree students at The University of Iowa may qualify for financial aid. For information about the federal regulations related to this, contact the University's Office of Student Financial Aid.

Parking—If you will own or operate a motor vehicle in the Iowa City area, you must Register Your Vehicle with the University's parking department within 48 hours of bringing it to campus.

Are you in the right place?

We want to make sure you fill out the right application.