The Graduate Certificate in Sustainable Water Development (SWD) is administered by the Civil and Environmental Engineering Department and classes are held partially online and at the Iowa City campus. The Graduate College grants the certificate.
Admission is available to professionals looking to address future challenges of water scarcity and variability while also meeting the food and energy demands of Earth’s growing population. This Certificate leverages a unique learning environment focused on water sustainability that extends beyond any one discipline, department, or College.
Applicants must meet the requirements set forth in the Nondegree Graduate Student page. The following qualifications are preferred (not required):
- Involvement in a relevant STEM field
- An undergraduate GPA greater than 2.75
- Resume or CV
- Unofficial transcript
- Brief letter of endorsement from your advisor or supervisor
Estimated Cost of Attendance
Tuition and fees vary by degree program and the type of student you are.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis during the academic year and are reviewed by the Sustainable Water Development Program. You will receive an email after admissions decisions have been made. Contact SWD Program Coordinator Blake Rupe at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. More information can be found here
To apply to this degree program, you will need to submit some application materials to your academic department and some to the Office of Admissions.
Materials to send to the department:
- Your official academic records/transcripts (current and former UI students do not need to provide UI transcripts)
- Three Letters of Recommendation (PDF)
- Materials to send to Admissions:
- A set of your unofficial academic records/transcripts uploaded on your Admissions Profile
- International students may also be required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores to comply with the university's English Language Proficiency Requirements.
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement.
If you Apply Online, the $60 application fee ($100 for international students) is payable by Discover, MasterCard, or Visa. If you cannot pay by credit card, you may Download and Print an Application (PDF) and pay the fee by check or money order in U.S. currency made payable to "The University of Iowa."