The MA in Speech-Language Pathology is awarded by the Graduate College. Instruction is offered through the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. The MA is offered with or without a thesis. The department also offers a clinical doctorate in Audiology (AuD), a PhD in Speech & Hearing Science, and a Combined Degree Program (PhD/AuD).
Applicants must meet the Admission Requirements of the Graduate College and the department offering the degree program (review the department's web site or the General Catalog for departmental requirements).
Estimated Cost of Attendance
Tuition and fees vary by degree program and the type of student you are.
- Fall semester—January 1
- Spring semester—not offered
- Summer session—January 1
The graduate application
- You must first submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants).
Degree Program Supplemental Materials
- Apply directly to the Communication Sciences & Disorders Centralized Application Services (CSDCAS).
Materials to send to Admissions
- A set of your unofficial academic records/transcripts uploaded on your Admissions Profile. If you are admitted, official transcripts will be required before your enrollment. For international records, all records should bear the original stamp or seal of the institution and the signature of a school official. Documents not in English must be accompanied by a complete, literal, English translation, certified by the issuing institution.
- Your official GRE scores from Educational Testing Service (the University's institutional code is 6681).
- International students may also be required to submit TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE scores to comply with the university's English Language Proficiency Requirements.
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement.
Apply directly to the Communication Sciences & Disorders Centralized Application Services (CSDCAS). You will also need to apply online to the University of Iowa Graduate College. The $60 application fee ($100 for international students) is payable by Discover, Master Card, or Visa.
Department of Communication Sciences & Disorders
The University of Iowa
119 Wendell Johnson Speech & Hearing Center
Iowa City, IA 52242
Office of Admissions
The University of Iowa
107 Calvin Hall
Iowa City, IA 52242-1396