The PhD in Speech and Hearing Science is awarded by the Graduate College. Instruction is offered through the department of Communication Sciences and Disorders in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
Applicants must meet the Admission Requirements of the Graduate College and the department offering the degree program (review the department's web site or the General Catalog for departmental requirements).
Tuition and fees vary by degree program and the type of student you are.
Fall semester—Jan. 15
The graduate application process
- You must first submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants).
- Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an email instructing you on how to upload your supporting documents and submit letters of recommendation. A few programs require materials be sent directly to them. However, almost all supplemental material can and should be uploaded from your Admissions Profile in MyUI, our online service center for applicants and students. You can only access this AFTER you have submitted your application.
GRE scores are not required for this program.
Materials to send to Admissions
- A set of your unofficial academic records/transcripts uploaded on your Admissions Profile. If you are admitted, official transcripts will be required before your enrollment. For international records, all records should bear the original stamp or seal of the institution and the signature of a school official. Documents not in English must be accompanied by a complete, literal, English translation, certified by the issuing institution.
- International students may also be required to submit TOEFL, IELTS, or DuoLingo scores to comply with the university's English Language Proficiency Requirements.
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement.
Degree Program Supplemental Materials
- Résumé or curriculum vitae
- Research statement, outlining past research experience and future research goals
- Three letters of recommendation
Once your Preliminary Application is approved by the Speech & Hearing Program, you should Apply Online to the University. The $60 application fee ($100 for international students) is payable by Discover, MasterCard, or Visa.
Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders
The University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA 52242 -1012
firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Office of Admissions
The University of Iowa
108 Calvin Hall
Iowa City, IA 52242-1396