The UI Department of Spanish & Portuguese offers an MFA in Spanish Creative Writing. The degree is awarded by the Graduate College. Instruction is offered through the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. The MFA is offered with a thesis.
Applicants must meet the Admission Requirements of the Graduate College and the department offering the degree program (review the department's web site or the General Catalog for departmental requirements).
Estimated Cost of Attendance
Tuition and fees vary by degree program and the type of student you are.
- Fall semester—January 15 (late applications considered only if space is available)
- Spring semester—August 15 (late applications considered only if space is available)
- Summer session—not offered
The graduate application process has two steps
- You must first submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants).
- Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an email instructing you on how to upload your supporting documents and submit letters of recommendation. A few programs require materials be sent directly to them. However, almost all supplemental material can and should be uploaded from your Admissions Profile in MyUI, our online service center for applicants and students. You can only access this AFTER you have submitted your application.
Degree Program Supplemental Materials
- Application for Graduate Awards
- A one- or two-page statement of purpose
- A sample of creative work in Spanish, at least 30 (but no more than 50) pages of fiction or 20 pages of poetry that demonstrate excellent creative potential.
The application requirement section of your Profile includes an electronic letter of recommendation feature. If your program of study requires letters of recommendation, you will be asked to give the contact information of your recommenders including their email on your Admissions Profile. The recommender will then get an email giving them instructions on how to upload the recommendation letter and/or form.
- Three letters of recommendation
Materials to send to Admissions
- A set of your unofficial academic records/transcripts uploaded on your Admissions Profile. If you are admitted, official transcripts will be required before your enrollment. For international records, all records should bear the original stamp or seal of the institution and the signature of a school official. Documents not in English must be accompanied by a complete, literal, English translation, certified by the issuing institution.
- International students may also be required to submit TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE scores to comply with the university's English Language Proficiency Requirements.
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement.
Division of World Languages, Literatures & Cultures
Department of Spanish & Portuguese
The University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA 52242
Contact Ali Casella at email@example.com
Office of Admissions
The University of Iowa
107 Calvin Hall
Iowa City, IA 52242-1396