The MSW, PhD, and the combined MSW/PhD in Social Work are awarded by the Graduate College. The MSW is offered with or without a thesis. Iowa also offers Combined Degree Programs in Social Work.
Applicants must meet the Admission Requirements of the Graduate College and the department offering the degree program (review the department's website or the General Catalog for departmental requirements).
Estimated Cost of Attendance
Tuition and fees vary by degree program and the type of student you are.
- Fall semester - February 1st for Iowa City and Des Moines Advanced and Regular Standing
- Fall semester - February 1st for Iowa City PhD
- Spring semester - No program admitting in spring
- Summer session – February 1st for Quad Cities Advanced and Regular Standing
- Summer session - December 1st for Accelerated Advanced MSW
- Summer session - December 1st for Online Hybrid Advanced and Regular Standing
The graduate application process has two steps
- You must first submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants).
- Please determine which cohort you will be applying to by visiting the Social Work Programs site.
- Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an email instructing you on how to upload your supporting documents. A few programs require materials be sent directly to them. However, almost all supplemental material can and should be uploaded from your Admissions Profile in MyUI, our online service center for applicants and students. You can only access this AFTER you have submitted your application.
GRE scores are not required for this program.
Degree Program Supplemental Materials
- MSW applicants must submit:
- School of Social Work MSW Supplemental Data Form
- Names and email addresses of three individuals to complete the specific MSW Recommendation Form
- A statement of purpose and essays as described in the Admissions Policy (Section III-D)
- A résumé
- PhD candidates must submit:
- Unofficial transcripts from previous institutions attended
- A resume/CV
- An example of your scholarly writing
- Essays as described in the PhD Important Guidelines for Applying for Admission
- The Graduate Funding Application
- The PhD Supplemental Department Form
- Names and email addresses of three individuals to complete the specific PhD Recommendation Form
- MSW/PhD combined-degree candidates:
The application requirement section of your Profile includes an electronic "letter of recommendation" feature. You will provide the contact information of your recommenders including their email on your Admissions Profile. The recommender will then get an email with a link to the correct SSW recommendation form and instructions on adding a letter, (optional in some cases).
- Materials to send to Admissions
- A set of your unofficial academic records/transcripts uploaded on your Admissions Profile. If you are admitted, official transcripts will be required before your enrollment. For international records, all records should bear the original stamp or seal of the institution and the signature of a school official. Documents not in English must be accompanied by a complete, literal, English translation, certified by the issuing institution.
- Refer to the SSW Admission Policy Statement pdf to view the School’s specific policy related to English Language Proficiency Requirements.
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement.