The MS and the PhD in Physics are awarded by the Graduate College. Instruction is offered through the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. The MS is offered with or without a thesis.
Applicants must meet the Admission Requirements of the Graduate College and the department offering the degree program (review the department's web site or the General Catalog for departmental requirements).
Estimated Cost of Attendance
Tuition and fees vary by degree program and the type of student you are.
- Fall – January 15
- Spring – January 15
- Summer – Not available
The graduate application process has two steps
- You must first submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants).
- Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an email instructing you on how to upload your supporting documents and submit letters of recommendation. A few programs require materials be sent directly to them. However, almost all supplemental material can and should be uploaded from your Admissions Profile in MyUI, our online service center for applicants and students. You can only access this AFTER you have submitted your application.
Degree Program Supplemental Materials
- Application for Graduate Awards
The application requirement section of your Profile includes an electronic letter of recommendation feature. If your program of study requires letters of recommendation, you will be asked to give the contact information of your recommenders including their email on your Admissions Profile. The recommender will then get an email giving them instructions on how to upload the recommendation letter and/or form.
- Three letters of recommendation
Materials to send to Admissions
- A set of your unofficial academic records/transcripts uploaded on your Admissions Profile. If you are admitted, official transcripts will be required before your enrollment. For international records, all records should bear the original stamp or seal of the institution and the signature of a school official. Documents not in English must be accompanied by a complete, literal, English translation, certified by the issuing institution.
- The general GRE exam is not required. However, the GRE Physics subject test is strongly recommended.
- International students may also be required to submit TOEFL, IELTS, or DuoLingo scores to comply with the university's English Language Proficiency Requirements.
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement.