The MS in Integrated Biology is awarded by the Graduate College. Instruction is through the UI College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. The MS is awarded with or without a thesis (although the MS without thesis degree is exclusively an exit degree).
Applicants must meet the Admission Requirements of the Graduate College and the department offering the degree program (review the department's web site or the General Catalog for departmental requirements).
Prior to formally applying to the MS program through the Office of Admissions (and paying the requisite application fee), MS applicants are advised to correspond with and receive assurances of laboratory affiliation from a Department of Biology faculty member. This may entail sending informal transcripts/grade reports and requested documentation to the faculty member. In addition, any assurance from the proposed faculty mentor would be conditional on the approval of the formal application by the Department's Graduate Admissions Committee.
Tuition and fees vary by degree program and the type of student you are.
For the Integrated Biology Graduate Program in the Department of Biology, students admitted to the MS with thesis program can receive $20,736 per academic year (fall and spring semesters) through graduate assistantships, plus a full tuition scholarship, low-cost health care insurance premiums, and 50% of mandatory student fees. Continued support (including summer support) is dependent on the availability of funding This applies to both U.S. citizens and international applicants.
Fall: Dec. 1–Jan. 15 for PhD students; May 22 for MS students
Spring: only by exception as a direct admit to a faculty member's lab
Summer: only exception as a direct admit to a faculty member's lab
The graduate application process has two steps
- You must first submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants).
- Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an email instructing you on how to upload your supporting documents and submit letters of recommendation. A few programs require materials be sent directly to them. However, almost all supplemental material can and should be uploaded from your Admissions Profile in MyUI, our online service center for applicants and students. You can only access this AFTER you have submitted your application.
GRE scores are not required for this program.
Degree Program Supplemental Materials
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- Statement of Interest/Purpose (Please provide a one-page statement in which you discuss such matters relevant to your application as your professional interests, special abilities, research accomplished or that you hope to accomplish, goals, and how graduate education in biology relates to these goals.)
- Supplemental Data Form (see department’s application page in MyUI)
- Application for Graduate Awards (to be completed if a Fellowship is offered)
The application requirement section of your Profile includes an electronic letter of recommendation feature. If your program of study requires letters of recommendation, you will be asked to give the contact information of your recommenders including their email on your Admissions Profile. The recommender will then get an email giving them instructions on how to upload the recommendation letter and/or form.
- Three letters of recommendation
Materials to send to Admissions
- A set of your unofficial academic records/transcripts uploaded on your Admissions Profile. If you are admitted, official transcripts will be required before your enrollment. For international records, all records should bear the original stamp or seal of the institution and the signature of a school official. Documents not in English must be accompanied by a complete, literal, English translation, certified by the issuing institution.
- International students may also be required to submit TOEFL, IELTS, or DuoLingo scores to comply with the university's English Language Proficiency Requirements.
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement.
Apply Online, the $60 application fee ($100 for international students) is payable by Discover, MasterCard, or Visa.
Integrated Biology Graduate Program
The University of Iowa
142 Biology Building
Iowa City, IA 52242
Office of Admissions
The University of Iowa
108 Calvin Hall
Iowa City, IA 52242-1396