The Master of Science program in data science aims to train the next generation of data scientists with the analytical and technical skills to explore, formulate, and solve complex data-driven problems in science, industry, business, and government.
Applicants must meet the Admission Requirements of the Graduate College and the department offering the degree program (review the department's website or the General Catalog for departmental requirements).
Tuition and fees vary by degree program and the type of student you are.
- Fall semester: June 15 (April 15 for international students)
- Spring semester: not offered
- Summer session: not offered
The graduate application process has two steps:
- You must first submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants).
- Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an email instructing you on how to upload your supporting documents and submit letters of recommendation. A few programs require materials be sent directly to them. However, almost all supplemental material can and should be uploaded from your Admissions Profile in MyUI, our online service center for applicants and students. You can only access this AFTER you have submitted your application.
This program does not require the GRE for admission.
The application requirements section of your Profile includes an electronic letter of recommendation feature. If your program of study requires letters of recommendation, you will be asked to give the contact information of your recommenders including their email on your Admissions Profile. The recommender will then get an email giving them instructions on how to upload the recommendation letter and/or form.
- Three Letters of Recommendation
Materials to Send to Admissions
- A set of your unofficial academic records/transcripts uploaded on your Admissions Profile. If you are admitted, official transcripts will be required before your enrollment. For international records, all records should bear the original stamp or seal of the institution and the signature of a school official. Documents not in English must be accompanied by a complete, literal, English translation, certified by the issuing institution.
- International students may also be required to submit TOEFL, IELTS, or DuoLingo scores to comply with the university's English Language Proficiency Requirements.
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement (PDF).
Apply online, the $60 application fee ($100 for international students) is payable by Discover, MasterCard, or Visa.
Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science
241 Schaeffer Hall
Iowa City, IA 52242-1409
Office of Admissions
The University of Iowa
108 Calvin Hall
Iowa City, IA 52242-1396