The MCS and MS in Computer Science are awarded by the Graduate College. Instruction is offered through the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. The MCS is a nonthesis degree. The MS is awarded with or without a thesis and is usually awarded only to students en route to the PhD. The department also offers Combined Degree Programs (a BA/MCS and BS/MCS).
Applicants must meet the Admission Requirements of the Graduate College and the department offering the degree program (review the department's website or the General Catalog for departmental requirements).
Tuition and fees vary by degree program and the type of student you are.
- Fall semester—Jan. 1
- Spring semester—rarely offered (Contact department before applying for this session: email@example.com)
- Summer session—rarely offered (Contact department before applying for this session: firstname.lastname@example.org)
The graduate application process has two steps
- You must first submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants).
- Submit supplemental materials required by your degree program. A few programs require materials be sent directly to them. However, almost all supplemental material can and should be uploaded from your Admissions Profile in MyUI, our online service center for applicants and students.
GRE scores are not required for this program.
Degree Program Supplemental Materials
- A résumé or curriculum vitae
- A statement of purpose
- Unofficial transcript(s)
The application requirement section of your Profile includes an electronic letter of recommendation feature. If your program of study requires letters of recommendation, you will be asked to give the contact information of your recommenders including their email on your Admissions Profile. The recommender will then get an email giving them instructions on how to upload the recommendation letter and/or form.
- Three letters of recommendation
Materials to send to Admissions
- A set of your unofficial academic records/transcripts uploaded on your Admissions Profile. If you are admitted, official transcripts will be required before your enrollment. For international records, all records should bear the original stamp or seal of the institution and the signature of a school official. Documents not in English must be accompanied by a complete, literal, English translation, certified by the issuing institution.
- International students may also be required to submit TOEFL, IELTS, or DuoLingo scores to comply with the university's English Language Proficiency Requirements.
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement.
Apply Online, the $60 application fee ($100 for international students) is payable by Discover, MasterCard, or Visa.
Department of Computer Science
The University of Iowa
14 MacLean Hall
Iowa City, IA 52242
Office of Admissions
The University of Iowa
108 Calvin Hall
Iowa City, IA 52242-1396