The Certificate in Periodontics is awarded by the College of Dentistry. An MS in Oral Science must be completed in conjunction with the certificate program.
Applicants must meet the Admission Requirements of the Graduate College and the department offering the degree program (review the department's website or the General Catalog for departmental requirements).
Tuition and fees vary by degree program and the type of student you are.
Estimated Cost of Attendance:
- Certificate + MS avg. per year - $ 20,000
- Resident stipend per year $12,000
There is a $21,057 per year surcharge for international students.
- Fall semester—not offered
- Spring semester—not offered
- Summer session—June 30
To apply to this degree program, you will need to submit some application materials to your academic department and some to the Office of Admissions. When completing the application, indicate Oral Science as the department and Periodontics as the subarea/specialization.
The graduate application process has two steps
- You must first submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants).
- Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an email instructing you on how to upload your supporting documents and submit letters of recommendation (MS Only). A few programs require materials be sent directly to them. However, almost all supplemental material can and should be uploaded from your Admissions Profile on MyUI, our online service center for applicants and students. You can only access this AFTER you have submitted your application.
Degree Program Supplemental Materials
Register in the National Match Program.
The following information is required for your application to either program:
- Personal statement
- Official transcripts
- ECE evaluation for international students
- Curriculum Vitae
- Three letters of recommendation
- Official TOEFL score of 100 or more for international students
- National Dental Board Examination Part 1 (if available)
Materials to send to Admissions
- A set of your unofficial academic records/transcripts uploaded on your Admissions Profile. If you are admitted, official transcripts will be required before your enrollment.
- International students are required to submit TOEFL, IELTS, or DuoLingo scores to comply with the university's English Language Proficiency Requirements.
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement.
MS + Certificate Program
Apply Online, the $60 application fee ($100 for international students) is payable by Discover, MasterCard, or Visa.
Department of Periodontics
The University of Iowa
Attn: Graduate Admissions
Dental Science Building S446
801 Newton Rd.
Iowa City, IA 52242
Office of Admissions
The University of Iowa
108 Calvin Hall
Iowa City, IA 52242-1396