Review Course Listings

You are encouraged to review university course offerings before attending Orientation, although you may not register for courses until after meeting with an academic adviser.

Meet with Your Academic Adviser

Before you register for classes, you will need to meet with your academic adviser to plan your course schedule. Your adviser's name will be provided to you by the academic department offering your degreem and will be posted under the "Student Records" tab in MyUI). Nondegree graduate students are advised by Caren Cox, Associate Director of Academic Affairs, 205 Gilmore Hall, 319-335-2135.

During the meeting, your adviser will give you a four-digit number authorizing you to register for classes. Admission to some courses requires the instructor's signature, so be sure to obtain that documentation, if necessary, before trying to register.

Register Online or In Person

After meeting with your adviser, you can register online or take your registration number on a printed registration form to the Registrar's Service Center in Room 30 Calvin Hall.

Obtain your Official Student ID

After you register for classes, you can go to the Iowa One Card Center to obtain your official University of Iowa student ID (it's called the Iowa One Card). A photo identification (such as a driver’s license or passport) is required.

  • Obtain Your Iowa One Card
    Your official student ID card can be used to charge expenses to your university bill at some university locations.