The Biomedical Science Program is first-year umbrella program supporting matriculation into any of 7 Ph.D. subprograms including Cancer Biology, Cell & Developmental Biology, Experimental Pathology, Free Radical & Radiation Biology, Molecular Medicine, Molecular Physiology & Biophysics, and Pharmacology. Students earn a Ph.D. degree in Biomedical Science (Name of Subprogram).
Applicants must meet the Admission Requirements of the Graduate College and the Biomedical Science Program.
Admission to the Biomedical Science Program is highly selective and we strive to enroll an academically strong and diverse cohort of students every year. Every application is reviewed carefully and holistically. GRE scores are not required.
International students whose first language is not English are advised to review the English language proficiency recommendations for prospective applicants.
Estimated Cost of Attendance
Students admitted to the PhD program receive a nationally competitive stipend and a health insurance allowance in addition to full payment of their tuition and mandatory fees.
- Fall semester—December 1
- Spring semester—not offered
- Summer session—not offered
The graduate application process has two steps
- You must first submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants).
- Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an email instructing you on how to upload your supporting documents and submit letters of recommendation. All supplemental material must be uploaded from your Admissions Profile in MyUI, our online service center for applicants and students. You can only access this AFTER you have submitted your application.
Degree Program Supplemental Materials
- Résumé or Curriculum Vitae
- Research Statement
- Personal Statement
- Other Supporting Materials
The application requirement section of your Profile includes an electronic letter of recommendation feature. If your program of study requires letters of recommendation, you will be asked to give the contact information of your recommenders, including their email, on your Admissions Profile. The recommender will then get an email giving them instructions on how to upload the recommendation letter and/or form.
Materials to send to Admissions
- A set of your unofficial academic records/transcripts uploaded on your Admissions Profile. If you are admitted, official transcripts will be required before your enrollment. For international records, all records should bear the original stamp or seal of the institution and the signature of a school official. Documents not in English must be accompanied by a complete, literal, English translation, certified by the issuing institution.
- International students may also be required to submit TOEFL, IELTS, or DuoLingo scores to comply with the university's English Language Proficiency Requirements
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement.
Apply Online, the $60 application fee ($100 for international students) is payable by Discover, MasterCard, or Visa.
Fee Waiver: Applicants for whom payment of the application fee presents a significant financial hardship may request an application fee waiver.
Reimbursement: Applicants to the Biomedical Science Program will have the application fee reimbursed by the Carver College of Medicine if (1) The applicant receives an interview invitation, and (2) The applicant completes the interview.
GRE scores: GRE scores are NOT required for applicants to the Biomedical Science Program.