Applying as a Nondegree Graduate Student
If you want to enroll in a limited number of graduate-level classes on Iowa's campus, but you aren't seeking admission to a degree program, apply as a nondegree graduate student.
- A baccalaureate degree from a Regionally Accredited Institution or an equivalent degree from another country.
- A grade-point average (GPA) of at least 2.50 on a 4.00 scale, or the foreign equivalent.
- Additional Requirements for International Applicants.
- You may register for up to two courses per semester, but you can't accumulate more than two courses from any given department or program.
- Credit earned cannot count toward satisfying the residence requirement for a degree.
- You must enroll in courses numbered 100-level or above to earn graduate credit.
- Submit an application (Apply Online or Download & Print the Application Form.)
- Most nondegree applicants will be charged a $40 application fee upon enrollment. Exemptions include high school students, Regents Exchange students, and students who are already charged a fee by the sponsoring department (e.g. study abroad). If a fee is charged, it will appear on your first university bill.
- Submit an official transcript showing your baccalaureate (or higher) degree to the Office of Admissions, 107 Calvin Hall, Iowa City, IA 52242-1396. (Current or former UI students do not need to submit UI transcripts.)
- Submit an official TOEFL score report if you are an international student whose first language is not English. (Review the Additional Requirements for International Applicants).
- Your application and any supporting documents should be in the Office of Admissions at least two weeks before classes begin.
After You Are Admitted
It will take approximately two weeks to process your application.
Hawk ID and ISIS—Admitted students will receive a Hawk ID and password to use the web-based self-service center called ISIS (Iowa Student Information Services). If you forget your Hawk ID, contact Admissions at 800-553-4692 weekdays 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (international students call 319-335-3847). If you forget your password, request a Password Reset.
Class registration—Before you can register for classes, you must meet with an academic advisor, who will either give you a registration number or clear you for registration. Nondegree students are advised by the Graduate College. Call 319-335-2135 to make an appointment. You will register for classes online using ISIS. Your registration date and time will be displayed when you log in to ISIS, and you can also view course listings in ISIS.
Proof of immunity—Admitted students are required to show Proof of Immunity to Measles, Mumps, and Rubella before registering for classes.
Financial aid—Nondegree students at The University of Iowa may qualify for financial aid. For information about the federal regulations related to this, contact the University's Office of Student Financial Aid.
Parking—If you will own or operate a motor vehicle in the Iowa City area, you must Register Your Vehicle with the University's parking department within 48 hours of bringing it to campus.
Are you in the right place?
We want to make sure you fill out the right application.