Strategic Communication (MA)
The MA in Strategic Communication is awarded by the Graduate College. Instruction is offered in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. The MA is offered without thesis only.
Applicants must meet the Admission Requirements of the Graduate College and the department offering the degree program (review the department's web site or the General Catalog for departmental requirements).
Estimated Cost of Attendance
Tuition and fees vary by degree program and the type of student you are.
- Fall semester—July 15
- Spring semester—December 1
- Summer semester—April 15
To apply to this degree program, you will need to submit some application materials to your academic department and some to the Office of Admissions.
Materials to send to the department:
- Your official academic records/transcripts (current and former UI students do not need to provide UI transcripts)
- Three letters of recommendation on letterhead (recommendation form NOT required)
- A statement of purpose
- A sample of your academic or professional writing
- An up-to-date CV or résumé
Materials to send to Admissions:
- A second set of your official academic records/transcripts (current and former UI students do not need to provide UI transcripts)
- Your official GRE scores from Educational Testing Service (the University's institutional code is 6681).
- International students may also be required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores to comply with the university's English Language Proficiency Requirements.
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement.
If you Apply Online, the $60 application fee ($100 for international students) is payable by Discover, MasterCard, or Visa. If you cannot pay by credit card, you may Download and Print an Application (PDF) and pay the fee by check or money order in U.S. currency made payable to "The University of Iowa."
School of Journalism & Mass Communication
The University of Iowa
E305 Adler Journalism Building
Iowa City, IA 52242
Associate Director for Online & Distance Education
University of Iowa School of Journalism & Mass Communication
John & Mary Pappajohn Education Center
1200 Grand Avenue #110
Des Moines, IA 50309
Office of Admissions
The University of Iowa
107 Calvin Hall
Iowa City, IA 52242-1396