Strategic Communication (MA)
The MA in Strategic Communication is awarded by the Graduate College. Instruction is offered in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. The MA is offered without thesis only.
Applicants must meet the Admission Requirements of the Graduate College and the department offering the degree program (review the department's web site or the General Catalog for departmental requirements).
Estimated Cost of Attendance
Tuition and fees vary by degree program and the type of student you are.
- Fall semester—July 15
- Spring semester—December 1
- Summer semester—April 15
The graduate application process has two steps
- You must first submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants).
- Submit supplemental materials required by your degree program. A few programs require materials be sent directly to them. However, almost all supplemental material can and should be uploaded from your Admissions Profile on the Iowa Student Information System, our online service center for applicants and students.
Degree Program Supplemental Materials
- A statement of purpose
- A sample of your academic or professional writing
- An up-to-date CV or résumé
The application requirement section of your Profile includes an electronic letter of recommendation feature. If your program of study requires letters of recommendation, you will be asked to give the contact information of your recommenders including their email on your Admissions Profile. The recommender will then get an email giving them instructions on how to upload the recommendation letter and/or form.
- Three letters of recommendation
Materials to send to Admissions
- A set of your official academic records/transcripts (current and former UI students do not need to provide UI transcripts)
- Your official GRE scores from Educational Testing Service (the University's institutional code is 6681).
- International students may also be required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores to comply with the university's English Language Proficiency Requirements.
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement.
Apply Online, the $60 application fee ($100 for international students) is payable by Discover, MasterCard, or Visa.
School of Journalism & Mass Communication
The University of Iowa
E305 Adler Journalism Building
Iowa City, IA 52242
Associate Director for Online & Distance Education
University of Iowa School of Journalism & Mass Communication
John & Mary Pappajohn Education Center
1200 Grand Avenue #110
Des Moines, IA 50309
Office of Admissions
The University of Iowa
107 Calvin Hall
Iowa City, IA 52242-1396