Strategic Communication (MA)
The MA in Strategic Communication is awarded by the Graduate College. Instruction is offered in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. The MA is offered without thesis only.
Applicants must meet the Admission Requirements of the Graduate College and the department offering the degree program (review the department's web site or the General Catalog for departmental requirements).
Estimated Cost of Attendance
Tuition and fees vary by degree program and the type of student you are.
- Fall semester—July 15
- Spring semester—December 1
- Summer semester—April 15
The graduate application process has two steps
- You must first submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants).
- Submit supplemental materials required by your degree program. A few programs require materials be sent directly to them. However, almost all supplemental material can and should be uploaded from your Admissions Profile in MyUI, our online service center for applicants and students.
Degree Program Supplemental Materials
- A statement of purpose that explains how the degree advances your career goals
- A sample of your academic or professional writing
- An up-to-date CV or résumé
- Recommendations: As explained below, your application will include three letters of recommendations. These letters should come from individuals who can speak to your skills and capacities as a professional communicator, and to your potential for advancement in this field.
The application requirement section of your Profile includes an electronic letter of recommendation feature. If your program of study requires letters of recommendation, you will be asked to give the contact information of your recommenders including their email on your Admissions Profile. The recommender will then get an email giving them instructions on how to upload the recommendation letter and/or form.
- Three letters of recommendation
Materials to send to Admissions
- A set of your unofficial academic records/transcripts uploaded on your Admissions Profile. If you are admitted, official transcripts will be required before your enrollment.
- International students may also be required to submit TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE scores to comply with the university's English Language Proficiency Requirements.
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement.
Apply Online, the $60 application fee ($100 for international students) is payable by Discover, MasterCard, or Visa.