Social Work (MSW, PhD, or Combined MSW/PhD)
The MSW, PhD, and the combined MSW/PhD in Social Work are awarded by the Graduate College. The MSW is offered with or without a thesis. Iowa also offers Combined Degree Programs in Social Work.
Applicants must meet the Admission Requirements of the Graduate College and the department offering the degree program (review the department's web site or the General Catalog for departmental requirements).
Estimated Cost of Attendance
Tuition and fees vary by degree program and the type of student you are.
- Fall semester—January 31
- Spring semester—not offered
- Summer session—not offered
The graduate application process has two steps
- Submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants).
- Submit supplemental materials required by your degree program. A few programs require materials be sent directly to them. However, almost all supplemental material can and should be uploaded from your Admissions Profile on ISIS, our online service center for applicants and students.
Degree Program Supplemental Materials
- MSW applicants must submit:
- School of Social Work MSW Application Form
- Three completed Recommendation Forms
- A statement of purpose and essays as described in the Admissions Policy (Section III-D)
- A résumé
- PhD candidates must submit:
- Four letters of reference attached to the specific completed PhD Recommendation Forms
- The PhD Application Form
- A résumé
- An example of your scholarly writing
- A personal statement of your professional goals, guidelines are addressed in PhD Admissions Packet
- MSW/PhD combined-degree candidates:
- Email the Program Administrator Kate Kemp to first determine your eligibility for this program.
- Candidates will submit all parts of both the MSW and PhD applications.
The application requirement section of your Profile includes an electronic letter of recommendation feature. If your program of study requires letters of recommendation, you will be asked to give the contact information of your recommenders including their email on your Admissions Profile. The recommender will then get an email giving them instructions on how to upload the recommendation letter and/or form.
- Three letters of recommendation
Materials to send to Admissions
- A set of your official academic records/transcripts (current and former UI students do not need to provide UI transcripts)
- International students may also be required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores to comply with the university's English Language Proficiency Requirements.
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement.
- Your official GRE scores from Educational Testing Service (the University's institutional code is 6681) if you are applying to the PhD or combined MSW/PhD program.
Apply Online, the $60 application fee ($100 for international students) is payable by Discover, MasterCard, or Visa.