Social Work (MSW, PhD, or Combined MSW/PhD)
The MSW, PhD, and the combined MSW/PhD in Social Work are awarded by the Graduate College. The MSW is offered with or without a thesis. Iowa also offers Combined Degree Programs in Social Work.
Applicants must meet the Admission Requirements of the Graduate College and the department offering the degree program (review the department's web site or the General Catalog for departmental requirements).
Estimated Cost of Attendance
Tuition and fees vary by degree program and the type of student you are.
- Fall semester—January 31
- Spring semester—not offered
- Summer session—not offered
To apply to this degree program, you will need to submit some application materials to your academic department and some to the Office of Admissions.
Materials to send to the department:
- A photocopy of your official academic records/transcripts (current and former UI students do not need to provide UI transcripts). Please notify department and UI adcademic records will be provided: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- MSW applicants must submit:
- PhD candidates must submit:
- MSW/PhD combined-degree candidates:
- Email the Program Administrator Kate Kemp to first determine your eligibility for this program.
- Candidates will submit all parts of both the MSW and PhD applications.
Materials to send to Admissions:
- A second set of your official academic records/transcripts (current and former UI students do not need to provide UI transcripts)
- International students may also be required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores to comply with the university's English Language Proficiency Requirements.
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement.
- Your official GRE scores from Educational Testing Service (the University's institutional code is 6681) if you are applying to the PhD or combined MSW/PhD program.
If you Apply Online, the $60 application fee ($100 for international students) is payable by Discover, MasterCard, or Visa. If you cannot pay by credit card, you may Download & Print an Application (PDF) and pay the fee by check or money order in U.S. currency made payable to "The University of Iowa."