Public Health (MPH)
The Master of Public Health (MPH) is awarded by the Graduate College. It is a nonthesis degree. Iowa also offers Combined Degree Programs in Public Health (including an MPH/JD, MPH/MD, and an MPH/PharmD).
Applicants must meet the Admission Requirements of the Graduate College and the department offering the degree program (review the department's web site or the General Catalog for departmental requirements).
- Applicants must have earned a Bachelor's or a professional degree
- The minimum grade point average requirement for admission to the MPH program is 3.0.
- GRE preferred minimums are: verbal 151 and quantitative 152. If you took the exam prior to August 1, 2011, the preferred minimums are: verbal 467 and quantitative 591.
- The following scores may be substituted for the GRE: MCAT, LSAT, PCAT, DAT, GMAT, VCAT.
- TOEFL (or IELTS during the 2006-2007 year) scores are required for international students except permanent residents or those who have earned a degree from an accredited institution in the US, Canada (except Quebec), Australia, New Zealand, or the United Kingdom. The minimum recommended scores are: paper 600, computer 250, and internet 100. The minimum recommended IELTS score is 7.0.
Estimated Cost of Attendance
Tuition and fees vary by degree program and the type of student you are.
- Fall Semester—April 15 (April 1 for international students)
- Spring Semester—November 1 (October 1 for international students)*
- Summer Session—April 1 (March 15 for international students; March 1 for practicing veterinarians)
* Note that only combined degree applications are accepted for the Spring Semester (i.e. JD/MPH, MD/MPH, PharmD/MPH, and DVM/MPH)
To apply to this degree program, you will need to submit some application materials to your academic department and some to the Office of Admissions.
Materials to send to the department via SOPHAS (http://www.sophas.org/):
- Official transcripts showing all previous undergraduate and graduate work with grades and degrees.
- Official GRE scores
- Three letters of recommendation
- Personal Statement
- TOEFL for International Students
Materials to send to Admissions:
- Official academic records/transcripts (current and former UI students do not need to provide UI transcripts)
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement.
- Fill out the required fields only. You do not need to send additional materials directly to the MPH office.
If you Apply Online, the $60 application fee ($100 for international students) is payable by Discover, MasterCard, or Visa. If you cannot pay by credit card, you may Download and Print an Application (PDF) and pay the fee by check or money order in U.S. currency made payable to "The University of Iowa."