Pharmacy (MS or PhD)
The MS and the PhD in Pharmacy are awarded by the Graduate College. Instruction is offered through the College of Pharmacy. Subprograms for graduate research and courses include Clinical Pharmaceutical Sciences, Medicinal and Natural Products Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Socioeconomics, and Pharmaceutics. The graduate program in Pharmacy strongly emphasizes admission to the PhD degree program. Admission with the objective of an MS degree is only approved in special circumstances, and students seeking this degree are encouraged to contact the graduate program in Pharmacy before applying.
Applicants must meet the Admission Requirements of the Graduate College and the requirements of the department offering the degree program (review the department's web site or the General Catalog for departmental requirements).
Estimated Cost of Attendance
Tuition and fees vary by degree program and the type of student you are.
- Fall semester—April 15 (February 1 priority date to be considered for financial aid)
Admissions are made for Fall Semester only. On rare occasions, admission will be granted for the spring or summer session.
The graduate application process has two steps
- You must first submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants).
- Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an email instructing you on how to upload your supporting documents and submit letters of recommendation. A few programs require materials be sent directly to them. However, almost all supplemental material can and should be uploaded from your Admissions Profile on Iowa Student Information System, our online service center for applicants and students. You can only access this AFTER you have submitted your application.
Degree Program Supplemental Materials
- A statement of purpose
- A résumé or CV
- Supplemental information form
The application requirement section of your Profile includes an electronic letter of recommendation feature. If your program of study requires letters of recommendation, you will be asked to give the contact information of your recommenders including their email on your Admissions Profile. The recommender will then get an email giving them instructions on how to upload the recommendation letter and/or form.
- Three letters of recommendation
Materials to send to Admissions
- Your official academic records/transcripts (current and former UI students do not need to provide UI transcripts)
- Your official GRE scores from Educational Testing Service.
- International students may also be required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores to comply with the university's English Language Proficiency Requirements.
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement.
Apply Online, the $60 application fee ($100 for international students) is payable by Discover, MasterCard, or Visa.