Pharmacy (MS or PhD)
The MS and the PhD inPharmacyare awarded by the Graduate College. Instruction is offered through the College of Pharmacy. Subprograms for graduate research and courses include Clinical Pharmaceutical Sciences, Medicinal and Natural Products Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Socioeconomics, and Pharmaceutics. The graduate program in Pharmacy strongly emphasizes admission to the PhD degree program. Admission with the objective of an MS degree is only approved in special circumstances, and students seeking this degree are encouraged to contact the graduate program in Pharmacy before applying.
Applicants must meet the Admission Requirements of the Graduate College and the department offering the degree program (review the department's web site or the General Catalog for departmental requirements).
Estimated Cost of Attendance
Tuition and fees vary by degree program and the type of student you are.
- Fall semester—April 15 (February 1 priority date to be considered for financial aid)
Admissions are made for Fall Semester only. On rare occasions, admission will be granted for the spring or summer session.
To apply to this degree program, you will need to submit some application materials to your academic department and some to the Office of Admissions.
Materials to send to the department:
- A photocopy of your official academic records/transcripts (current and former UI students do not need to provide UI transcripts)
- Three Letters of Recommendation (PDF)
Materials to send to Admissions:
- Your official academic records/transcripts (current and former UI students do not need to provide UI transcripts)
- Your official GRE scores from Educational Testing Service (On the TOEFL, the Pharmacy departmental code is 0613).
- International students may also be required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores to comply with the university's English Language Proficiency Requirements.
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement.
If you Apply Online, the $60 application fee ($100 for international students) is payable by Discover, MasterCard, or Visa. If you cannot pay by credit card, you may Download and Print an Application (PDF) and pay the fee by check or money order in U.S. currency made payable to "The University of Iowa."