Nonfiction Writing (MFA in English)
The MFA in English with a focus in nonfiction writing is awarded by the Graduate College.
Estimated Cost of Attendance
Tuition and fees vary by degree program and the type of student you are.
- Fall Semester—January 1
- Spring Semester—not offered
- Summer Session—not offered
The graduate application process has two steps
- You must first submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants).
- Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an email instructing you on how to upload your supporting documents and submit letters of recommendation. A few programs require materials be sent directly to them. However, almost all supplemental material can and should be uploaded from your Admissions Profile on Iowa Student Information System, our online service center for applicants and students. You can only access this AFTER you have submitted your application.
Degree Program Supplemental Materials
- A statement of purpose (no more than 500 words) explaining your reasons for choosing this degree program
- A 20- to 30-page writing sample representing any form of literary nonfiction, such as a personal essay, cultural commentary, in-depth portrait, interview, memoir, or feature story
- Your writing sample may consist of a single 20-30 page piece of writing, a collection of shorter pieces, or an excerpt from a longer piece.
- Submissions should be double-spaced with a one-inch margin in 10- to 12-point font and should include your name and page number.
- An Application for Graduate Awards
- An NWP Financial Aid Application
- NOTE: The Nonfiction Writing Program does not require GRE scores. However, exceptionally high GRE scores may help us secure funding for an applicant after we have decided to admit him or her. (The university's institutional code is 6681.)
The application requirement section of your Profile includes an electronic letter of recommendation feature. If your program of study requires letters of recommendation, you will be asked to give the contact information of your recommenders including their email on your Admissions Profile. The recommender will then get an email giving them instructions on how to upload the recommendation letter and/or form.
- Three letters of recommendation
Materials to send to Admissions
- A set of your official academic records/transcripts from all post-secondary institutions (current and former UI students do not need to provide UI transcripts)
- International students must satisfy the university's English-language proficiency requirement by sending their official TOEFL scores (the university's institutional code on the TOEFL is 6681; the English department's code is 2501).
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement.
Apply Online, the $60 application fee ($100 for international students) is payable by Discover, MasterCard, or Visa.