Design (MFA in Theatre Arts)
The MFA in Theatre Arts with a focus in Design is awarded by the Graduate College. Instruction is offered through the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
Applicants must meet the Admission Requirements of the Graduate College and the department offering the degree program (review the department's web site or the General Catalog for departmental requirements).
Estimated Cost of Attendance
Tuition and fees vary by degree program and the type of student you are.
- Fall Semester—January 15 (class admitted every fall)
- Spring Semester—not offered
- Summer Session—not offered
To apply to this degree program, you will need to submit some application materials to your academic department and some to the Office of Admissions.
Materials to send to the department:
- Your official academic records/transcripts (current and former UI students do not need to provide UI transcripts)
- Three Letters of Recommendation (PDF)
- A résumé
- A written statement explaining why you are seeking an MFA in design at Iowa
- A Portfolio of Your Work for presentation to the design faculty
Materials to send to Admissions:
- A second set of your official academic records/transcripts (current and former UI students do not need to provide UI transcripts)
- International students may also be required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores to comply with the university's English Language Proficiency Requirements.
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement.
If you Apply Online, the $60 application fee ($100 for international students) is payable by Discover, MasterCard, or Visa. If you cannot pay by credit card, you may Download and Print an Application (PDF) and pay the fee by check or money order in U.S. currency made payable to "The University of Iowa."