The MFA in Dance is awarded by the Graduate College. The MFA is offered with an emphasis in choreography or performance.
Applicants must meet the Admission Requirements of the Graduate College and the department offering the degree program (review the department's web site or the General Catalog for departmental requirements).
Estimated Cost of Attendance
Tuition and fees vary by degree program and the type of student you are.
- Fall semester—December 6 priority date to be considered for financial aid
- Spring semester—not offered
- Summer session—not offered
The graduate application process has two steps
- You must first submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants).
- Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an email instructing you on how to upload your supporting documents and submit letters of recommendation. A few programs require materials be sent directly to them. However, almost all supplemental material can and should be uploaded from your Admissions Profile on Iowa Student Information System, our online service center for applicants and students. You can only access this AFTER you have submitted your application.
Degree Program Supplemental Materials
- Complete resumé
- Statement indicating the track to be pursued and why.
- Application for Graduate Awards
- DVD or videotape (½-inch VHS; total length- minimum 10 minutes, maximum 20 minutes):
- For Choreography Track - Preferred solo and group works choreographed by applicant - Applicant in performance
- For Performance Track - Minimum of two pieces of varied styles and/or different choreographers performed by applicant.
- An on-campus audition is also required
The application requirement section of your Profile includes an electronic letter of recommendation feature. If your program of study requires letters of recommendation, you will be asked to give the contact information of your recommenders including their email on your Admissions Profile. The recommender will then get an email giving them instructions on how to upload the recommendation letter and/or form.
- Three letters of recommendation
Materials to send to Admissions
- A set of A set of your unofficial academic records/transcripts uploaded on your Admissions Profile
- International students may also be required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores to comply with the university's English Language Proficiency Requirements.
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement.
Apply Online, the $60 application fee ($100 for international students) is payable by Discover, MasterCard, or Visa.