The MFA in Dance is awarded by the Graduate College. The MFA is offered with an emphasis in choreography or performance.
Applicants must meet the Admission Requirements of the Graduate College and the department offering the degree program (review the department's web site or the General Catalog for departmental requirements).
Estimated Cost of Attendance
Tuition and fees vary by degree program and the type of student you are.
- Fall semester—December 6 priority date to be considered for financial aid
- Spring semester—not offered
- Summer session—not offered
To apply to this degree program, you will need to submit some application materials to your academic department and some to the Office of Admissions.
Materials to send to the department:
- Complete resumé
- A copy of all undergraduate transcripts and/or graduate work completed to date.
- Statement indicating the track to be pursued and why.
- Three Letters of Recommendation (PDF)
- Application for Graduate Awards (PDF)
- DVD or videotape (½-inch VHS; total length- minimum 10 minutes, maximum 20 minutes):
- For Choreography Track - Preferred solo and group works choreographed by applicant - Applicant in performance
- For Performance Track - Minimum of two pieces of varied styles and/or different choreographers performed by applicant.
- An on-campus audition is also required
Materials to send to Admissions:
- A second set of your official academic records/transcripts (current and former UI students do not need to provide UI transcripts)
- International students may also be required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores to comply with the university's English Language Proficiency Requirements.
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement.
If you Apply Online, the $60 application fee ($100 for international students) is payable by Discover, MasterCard, or Visa. If you cannot pay by credit card, you may Download and Print an Application (PDF) and pay the fee by check or money order in U.S. currency made payable to "The University of Iowa."