Creative Writing (MFA in English)
Applicants must meet the Admission Requirements of the Graduate College and the department offering the degree program (review the department's web site or the General Catalog for departmental requirements).
Estimated Cost of Attendance
Tuition and fees vary by degree program and the type of student you are.
- Fall Semester—January 3
- Spring Semester—not offered
To apply to this degree program, you will need to submit some application materials to your academic department and some to the Office of Admissions.
Materials to send to the department:
- A manuscript of your best work, with a Manuscript Cover Sheet (PDF)
- A personal statement
- Official transcripts from all universities and colleges you have attended
- Your official academic records/transcripts (current and former UI students do not need to provide UI transcripts)
- Three Letters of Recommendation (PDF)
- Application for Graduate Awards (PDF)
- The Supplement to the Financial Aid Application (PDF)
- Your General GRE test scores (optional but recommended)
- A self-addressed stamped postcard (optional) for acknowledgement of receipt of application
- A self-addressed stamped envelope to return your manuscript
Materials to send to Admissions:
- A second set of your official academic records/transcripts (current and former UI students do not need to provide UI transcripts)
- Your official GRE scores are not required for admission to this program. However, applications that include GRE scores may be more competitive for a greater range of financial assistance (the University's institutional code is 6681).
- International students may also be required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores to comply with the university's English Language Proficiency Requirements.
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement.
If you Apply Online, the $60 application fee ($100 for international students) is payable by Discover, MasterCard, or Visa. If you cannot pay by credit card, you may Download and Print an Application (PDF) and pay the fee by check or money order in U.S. currency made payable to "The University of Iowa."