Computer Science (MCS and MS)
The MCS and MS in Computer Science are awarded by the Graduate College. Instruction is offered through the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. The MCS is a nonthesis degree. The MS is awarded with or without a thesis, and is usually awarded only to students enroute to the PhD. The department also offers Combined Degree Programs (a BA/MCS and BS/MCS).
Applicants must meet the Admission Requirements of the Graduate College and the department offering the degree program (review the department's web site or the General Catalog for departmental requirements).
Estimated Cost of Attendance
Tuition and fees vary by degree program and the type of student you are.
- Fall semester—January 1
- Spring semester—rarely offered
- Summer session—rarely offered
To apply to this degree program, you will need to submit some application materials to your academic department and some to the Office of Admissions.
Materials to send to the department:
- Your official academic records/transcripts (current and former UI students do not need to provide UI transcripts)
- A résumé or curriculum vitae
- Three Letters of Recommendation (PDF)
- A statement of purpose
- A departmental Application for Graduate Financial Aid (PDF)
Materials to send to Admissions:
- A second set of your official academic records/transcripts (current and former UI students do not need to provide UI transcripts)
- International students may also be required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores to comply with the university's English Language Proficiency Requirements.
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement.
If you Apply Online, the $60 application fee ($100 for international students) is payable by Discover, MasterCard, or Visa. If you cannot pay by credit card, you may Download & Print an Application (PDF) and pay the fee by check or money order in U.S. currency made payable to "The University of Iowa."