Biostatistics (MS or PhD)
The MS and the PhD in Biostatistics are awarded by the Graduate College. Instruction is offered through the College of Public Health. The MS is offered with or without a thesis.
Applicants must meet the Admission Requirements of the Graduate College and the department offering the degree program (review the department's web site or the General Catalog for departmental requirements).
Estimated Cost of Attendance
Tuition and fees vary by degree program and the type of student you are.
- Fall semester—December 1 (priority date to be considered for financial aid)
- Spring semester—not offered
- Summer session—not offered
To apply to this degree program, you will need to submit some application materials to your academic department via SOPHAS and some to the Office of Admissions.
- A complete SOPHAS application
- Official transcripts showing all previous undergraduate and graduate work with grades and degrees.
- Official GRE scores
- Three letters of recommendation
- Personal Statement (1500 word limit)
- Résumé describing educational and employment history
- TOEFL for International Students. The minimum required scores are: paper 600, computer 250, and internet 100. Automatic waivers of this requirement are granted for persons who have completed a bachelor's degree (or higher) at an accredited university in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada (excluding French Quebec), Africa (English speaking), Australia, or New Zealand.
Materials to send to University of Iowa Office of Admissions:
- Application for Graduate Admission (apply online at the University of Iowa Admissions website). The program code for Biostatistics is 171.
- Application Fee (pay with credit card when submitting application)
- Official academic records/transcripts (current and former UI students do not need to provide UI transcripts)
If you Apply Online, the $60 application fee ($100 for international students) is payable by Discover, MasterCard, or Visa. If you cannot pay by credit card, you may Download and Print an Application (PDF) and pay the fee by check or money order in U.S. currency made payable to "The University of Iowa."