Biomedical Engineering (MS or PhD)
The MS and the PhD in Biomedical Engineering are awarded by the Graduate College. Instruction is offered through the College of Engineering. The MS is offered with or without a thesis.
Applicants must meet the Admission Requirements of the Graduate College and the department offering the degree program (review the department's web site or the General Catalog for departmental requirements).
Estimated Cost of Attendance
Tuition and fees vary by degree program and the type of student you are.
- Fall semester—March 1
- Spring semester—August 1
- Summer session—January 1
To apply to this degree program, you will need to submit some application materials to your academic department and some to the Office of Admissions.
Materials to send to the department:
When official application is made, the documents listed below should be sent to:
Graduate Secretary, University of Iowa
1402 Seamans Center
Iowa City, IA 52242.
- Three Letters of Recommendation (PDF)
- A personal résumé
- A statement of purpose
- A copy of your official GRE scores from Educational Testing Service (the University's institutional code is 6681).
- International students must send their official TOEFL scores from Educational Testing Service (the University's institutional code is 6681).
International students must first submit a Pre-Application Form. (PDF) Upon receipt and evaluation of the information provided in the pre-application, international students will be notified by e-mail whether or not to proceed and submit the official application provided through Graduate Admissions.
Materials to send to Admissions:
- A second set of your official academic records/transcripts (current and former UI students do not need to provide UI transcripts)
- Your official GREscores from Educational Testing Service (the University's institutional code is 6681).
- International students may also be required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores to comply with the university's English Language Proficiency Requirements.
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement.
If you Apply Online, the $60 application fee ($100 for international students) is payable by Discover, MasterCard, or Visa. If you cannot pay by credit card, you may Download and Print an Application (PDF) and pay the fee by check or money order in U.S. currency made payable to "The University of Iowa."
Department of Biomedical Engineering
The University of Iowa
1402 Seamans Center for the Engineering Arts and Sciences
Iowa City, IA 52242
Phone: 319-384-0671 (or 319-335-5632)
Office of Admissions
The University of Iowa
107 Calvin Hall
Iowa City, IA 52242-1396