The University of Iowa is located in Iowa City, Iowa, a town of about 62,000 people nestled in a metropolitan area of about 250,000. Iowa's campus is beautiful, pedestrian-friendly, and right next to Iowa City's student-oriented downtown.
What We Offer
The community provides numerous entertainment and housing options for young adult students and students with families.
- A vibrant campus. Iowa's campus is beautiful, pedestrian-friendly, and offers a variety of entertainment options.
- A cultured community. Offerings include great restaurants, eclectic book stores, and abundant live performance venues. Check out the connections you can make through the Iowa City/Coralville Convention & Visitors Bureau.
- Family support. Graduate students with families will find plenty of Family Resources and family-oriented things to do.
- Accessibility. We're within a five-hour drive of Chicago, Minneapolis, Omaha, Kansas City, and St. Louis, and Making Travel Arrangements is a breeze.
Our Track Record
Many Iowa students fall in love with Iowa City and never leave, choosing to establish their careers and families here. The community also ranks high in published reports.
- One of the Top Four College Towns in America, according to the American Institute for Economic Research's College Destination Index (2013-14) for cities with greater than 15,000 college students.
- #4 among the "Brainiest" cities in America, according to a 2013 analysis published in The Atlantic.
- World's third City of Literature, as designated by UNESCO in 2008.
- #4 Smartest City on Lumosity’s Smartest Cities in America for 2013
- A Top Literary City in the U.S., according to Highbrow Magazine, April 2014
- Iowa City ranked in Top 25 Cities for Jobs, "Q4 2013 Career Trends Report," Beyond.com, February 2014