Are you in the right place?
We want to make sure you fill out the right application. Apply Now
- If you want to enroll in graduate-level courses or workshops offered only through Distance and Online Education, but you aren't seeking admission to a departmental program, you should submit the Distance and Online Student (Nondegree) Application
- If you are seeking a graduate degree, submit the Graduate College Application
- If you are not seeking a UI degree and want to enroll in classes offered through the on-campus day program (NOT offered through Distance and Online Education), apply as a nondegree student
- If you are seeking undergraduate credit, visit Undergraduate Admissions
- A baccalaureate degree from a Regionally Accredited Institution or an equivalent degree from another country
- A minimum GPA of 2.50 on a 4.00 scale.
- You must enroll in courses numbered 3000-level or above to earn graduate credit
- Registration is restricted to courses and workshops offered through Distance and Online Education
- Credit earned cannot count toward satisfying the residence requirement for a degree
- Submit a Distance and Online Student (Nondegree) Application
Important Note: You do NOT have to pay an application fee to complete this application.
- U.S. students: Official transcripts are required as well as meeting a minimum 2.50 (on a 4.00 scale) GPA
- International Students only: A minimum GPA of 2.50 or above (on a 4.00 scale) or the foreign equivalent as determined by the Office of Admissions.
Submit official records and degree certificate, translated and untranslated, to the Office of Admissions, 108 Calvin Hall, Iowa City, IA 52242-1396
Please allow 2-3 business days to process your application
- Hawk ID and the MyUI—Admitted students will receive a Hawk ID and password to use the web-based self-service center called MyUI. These will come in two separate emails to the email address you supply on the application. If you need assistance with your Hawk ID, contact Admissions at 319-335-3847 weekdays 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., or email admissions. If you forget your password, request a Password Reset.
- Class registration—You can view course listings and register for classes online using the MyUI. Your registration date and time will be displayed when you log in. If you need to be cleared for registration, instructions will be provided.
- Financial aid—Distance and Online Students at The University of Iowa do not qualify for financial aid. For information about the federal regulations related to this, contact the University's Office of Student Financial Aid.