Are you in the right place?

We want to make sure you fill out the right application.

  •  If you want to enroll in graduate-level courses or workshops offered only through Continuing Education, but you aren't seeking admission to a departmental program, you should submit the Continuing Education Student Application
  • If you are seeking a graduate degree, submit the Graduate College Application
  • If you are not seeking a UI degree and want to enroll in classes offered through the on-campus day program (NOT offered through Continuing Education), apply as a nondegree student
  • If you are seeking undergraduate credit, visit Undergraduate Admissions

Admission Requirements


  • You must enroll in courses numbered 3000-level or above to earn graduate credit
  • Registration is restricted to courses and workshops offered through Continuing Education
  • Credit earned cannot count toward satisfying the residence requirement for a degree

Application Process

  • Submit a Continuing Education Student Application
    Important Note: You do NOT have to pay an application fee to complete this application.
  • U.S. students: Official transcripts are required as well as meeting a minimum 2.50 (on a 4.00 scale) GPA
  • International Students only: A minimum GPA of 2.50 or above (on a 4.00 scale) or the foreign equivalent as determined by the Office of Admissions.
    Submit official records and degree certificate, translated and untranslated, to the Office of Admissions, 108 Calvin Hall, Iowa City, IA  52242-1396

After Application

Please allow 2-3 business days to process your application

  • Hawk ID and the MyUI—Admitted students will receive a Hawk ID and password to use the web-based self-service center called MyUI. These will come in two separate emails to the email address you supply on the application. If you need assistance with your Hawk ID, contact Admissions at 319-335-3847 weekdays 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., or email admissions.  If you forget your password, request a Password Reset.
  • Class registration—You can view course listings and register for classes online using the MyUI. Your registration date and time will be displayed when you log in.  If you need to be cleared for registration, instructions will be provided.
  • Proof of immunity—On-campus students are required to show Proof of Immunity to Measles, Mumps, and Rubella before registering for classes.  Check your “Health Requirement Status” in the Student Records section of the Iowa Student Information System.
  • Financial aid—Continuing Education Students at The University of Iowa do not qualify for financial aid. For information about the federal regulations related to this, contact the University's Office of Student Financial Aid.