The Law School Admissions Test (LSAT) is required.
The University of Iowa College of Law encourages transfer applications from law school students who believe that the College of Law is a good fit for fulfilling their professional goals and objectives. You must have completed at least one full academic year of law school by June of the year in which you are seeking the transfer, and the courses must have been completed at an ABA-accredited law school. Only 30 hours of credit may be transferred from another law school. When evaluating your first year's performance, we primarily look at your law school rank. All files are reviewed on an individual basis.
Estimated Cost of Attendance
Tuition and fees vary by degree program and the type of student you are.
The deadline to apply for fall 2016 is May 1, 2016.
Transfer students may apply for fall semester admission only. The transfer application deadline is June 1.
Two-Year Juris Doctor Program (for foreign-trained lawyers) deadline is March 1.
Materials supporting your online application (below) should be on file in the College of Law as soon as possible after the June 1 application deadline. All of these items must be received by the College of Law before your application will be considered:
- Your Credential Assembly Service (CAS) report
- Your official law school transcript
- A report of your law school class rank
- A letter of good standing from the dean of your law school
- Letters of recommendation from your current law school that evaluate your work during your first year
- A two-page personal statement explaining why you want to transfer from your current school to the University of Iowa College of Law, and addressing the following topics:
- Why do you wish to study law?
- What has been your most significant accomplishment?
- How would you contribute to our law school community and the legal profession?
- Describe any life experiences that would indicate your drive, determination, motivation, or leadership characteristics.
Transfer applicants complete a different application than first-year applicants. The application is only available at Law School Admission Council (LSAC) at: http://www.lsac.org
The deadline for the transfer application is June 1.
Two-Year Juris Doctor Program (for foreign-trained lawyers)