The TEFL Certificate is designed for students who are interested in a career in English language teaching and administration outside of the United States in primary and secondary school settings (K-12). The TEFL Certificate is offered within the Foreign Language and ESL Education program in the Department of Teaching and Learning in the College of Education and is intended for post-baccalaureate international students. All of the 12 semester hours (s.h.) are offered entirely online.
- Hold a baccalaureate degree.
- Have a minimum grade-point average of 2.5 in undergraduate coursework.
- Have a minimum TOEFL score of 90, with a minimum of 20 in each of the four sections (reading, writing, listening, speaking).
- Meet the general requirements of the graduate college.
General information for graduate admission to the University of Iowa as a non-degree student can be found on the Applying as a Non-degree Graduate Student page.
Estimated Cost of Attendance
FY 2015-2016 Tuition & Fees
Tuition costs per semester:
- 1 credit hour: $554
- 3 credit hours or 1 course: $1662
- 6 credit hours or 2 courses: $3324
Technology fee per semester:
- 1 credit hour: $119.25
- 3 credit hours or 1 course: $119.25
- 6 credit hours or 2 courses: $179
Total costs per semester for full-time enrollment: $3503
Total costs for the TEFL Certificate (1 year full time enrollment): $7006
Applications for Fall 2015 are accepted on a rolling basis. For Fall 2016 admission, submit all application materials by April 1, 2016.
- Complete the University of Iowa non-degree online application form (first-time users will need to create an account). Under the “admission information” section of the application, make sure you choose “Graduate or Professional Credit” and apply to the Graduate College. Under “purpose of attending”, choose “Certificate” and then the TEFL Certificate. With this application you will have to pay a $40 admission fee and submit an official transcript.
- Submit TOEFL Scores (if required).
- Given submission of the appropriate materials, your enrollment application will be reviewed and the Coordinator of the TEFL Certificate will be informed of your intentions.
- Complete and submit the TEFL Certificate Enrollment Form to the TEFL Certificate Coordinator at email@example.com. You may complete this form at the same time as you submit the non-degree online application form.
- After review of your application and enrollment form you will be informed of the status of your application.