Social Studies Education (MA or PhD)
The MA and the PhD in Teaching and Learning with a focus in Social Studies Education are awarded by the Graduate College. The MA is offered with or without a thesis.
Applicants must meet the Admission Requirements of the Graduate College and the department offering the degree program (review the department's web site or the General Catalog for departmental requirements).
Estimated Cost of Attendance
Tuition and fees vary by degree program and the type of student you are.
MA (Program A) and PhD
- Fall Semester—July 15 (April 15 for international students)
- Spring Semester—Dec. 1 (October 1 for international students)
- Summer Session—April 15 (March 1 for international students)
MA (Program B) Teacher Licensure
- Fall Semester—March 1
- Spring Semester—October 1
- Summer Session—March 1
To apply to this degree program, you will need to submit some application materials to your academic department and some to the Office of Admissions.
Materials to send to the College of Education:
- Your official academic records/transcripts (current and former UI students do not need to provide UI transcripts)
- MA applicants must submit:
- PhD applicants must submit:
- Three Letters of Recommendation (PDF)
- Evidence of writing ability in the form of a thesis seminar paper, field research, or publication
- MA Program B students must submit a Teacher Education Program Application
Materials to send to Admissions:
- A second set of your official academic records/transcripts (current and former UI students do not need to provide UI transcripts)
- Your official GRE scores from Educational Testing Service (the University's institutional code is 6681).
- International students may also be required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores to comply with the university's English Language Proficiency Requirements.
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement.
If you Apply Online, the $60 application fee ($100 for international students) is payable by Discover, MasterCard, or Visa. If you cannot pay by credit card, you may Download and Print an Application (PDF) and pay the fee by check or money order in U.S. currency made payable to "The University of Iowa."