Music Education (MA or PhD)
The MA and the PhD in Music with a focus in Music Education are awarded by the Graduate College. The program is administered by the School of Music in cooperation with the College of Education. Application is made to the School of Music.
Applicants must meet the Admission Requirements of the Graduate College and the department offering the degree program (review the department's web site or the General Catalog for departmental requirements).
Estimated Cost of Attendance
Tuition and fees vary by degree program and the type of student you are.
- Fall semester—July 15 (April 15 for international students)
- Spring semester—December 1 (October 1 for international students)
- Summer session—April 15 (March 1 for international students)
To apply to this degree program, you will need to submit some application materials to your academic department and some to the Office of Admissions.
Materials to send to the department:
- Your official academic records/transcripts (current and former UI students do not need to provide UI transcripts)
- Three Letters of Recommendation (PDF)
- A 500-word essay explaining why you are interested in the music education program
- A copy of your teaching certificate or documentation that a certificate can be obtained
- A résumé detailing your professional experience
- Copies of your graduate course papers, research reports, or published papers
- PhD applicants also will have an on-campus interview
Materials to send to Admissions:
- A second set of your official academic records/transcripts (current and former UI students do not need to provide UI transcripts)
- International students may also be required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores to comply with the university's English Language Proficiency Requirements.
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement.
If you Apply Online, the $60 application fee ($100 for international students) is payable by Discover, MasterCard, or Visa. If you cannot pay by credit card, you may Download and Print an Application (PDF) and pay the fee by check or money order in U.S. currency made payable to "The University of Iowa."