The PhD in Microbiology is awarded by the Graduate College.
Applicants must meet the Admission Requirements of the Graduate College and the department offering the degree program (review the department's web site or the General Catalog for departmental requirements).
International students whose first language is not English are advised to review the English language proficiency recommendations for prospective applicants.
Estimated Cost of Attendance
Tuition and fees vary by degree program and the type of student you are.
- Fall semester—December 21
- Spring semester—not offered
- Summer session—not offered
Step 1: Preliminary Application
Applicants to the Microbiology graduate program are required to submit the FREE Preliminary Application. The preliminary application saves you time and money while streamlining the admissions process for 11 biomedical PhD training programs, including the Department of Microbiology. Applications received after the deadline above may be considered on a rolling basis.
- Submit FREE Preliminary Application;
- Upload unofficial transcripts to the Preliminary Application;
- Submit three letters of recommendation via the Preliminary Application;
- Self-report GRE test score results on the Preliminary Application; and
- Self-report TOEFL test score results on the Preliminary Application (foreign applicants only).
Step 2: If your FREE Preliminary Application is approved by the Department of Microbiology you will receive a communication directly from the Department of Microbiology requesting you Apply Online to the University.
The University of Iowa application carries a $60 application fee ($100 for international applicants) payable by Discover, MasterCard, or Visa.
Materials to send to Admissions after you have received communication indicating your preliminary application has been accepted:
- A set of A set of your unofficial academic records/transcripts uploaded on your Admissions Profile
- Your official GRE scores from Educational Testing Service (the University’s institutional code is 6681)
- International students may also be required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores to comply with the university’s English Language Proficiency Requirements.
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement
Department of Microbiology
The University of Iowa
3-403 Bowen Science Building
Iowa City, IA 52242
Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies
The University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine
Office of Admissions
The University of Iowa
107 Calvin Hall
Iowa City, IA 52242-1396