Literary Studies (MA or PhD in English)
The MA and the PhD in English-Literary Studies are awarded by the Graduate College. Instruction is offered through the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. The MA is offered with or without a thesis.
Applicants must meet the Admission Requirements of the Graduate College and the department offering the degree program (review the department's web site or the General Catalog for departmental requirements).
Estimated Cost of Attendance
Tuition and fees vary by degree program and the type of student you are.
- Fall Semester—Postmarked by December 2, 2013
- Spring Semester—not offered
- Summer Session—not offered
To apply to this degree program, you will need to submit some application materials to your academic department and some to the Office of Admissions.
Materials to send to the department:
- Your official academic records/transcripts (current and former UI students do not need to provide UI transcripts)
- Three Letters of Recommendation with cover sheets (PDF), from persons familiar enough with your intellectual attainments to evaluate your potential as a graduate student in English (preferably instructors of your college English courses or professionals familiar with your writing abilities and work habits). Letters may be sent from a dossier service, directly from recommenders, or from applicant in a sealed envelope with recommender's signature across the seal.
- A brief state of purpose (1-2 pages) explaining your intellectual interests, qualifications, and reasons for choosing Iowa's MA or PhD program
- Your official GRE scores from Educational Testing Service (the University's institutional code is 6681; the English departmental code is 2504)
- International students must satisfy the university's English-language proficiency requirement by sending their official TOEFL scores (the University's institutional code is 6681; the English departmental code is 2504). The minimum TOEFL score required for a teaching assistant's Speaking subsection is 26. The department will accept scores on the IELTS as an alternative to the TOEFL. A total IELTS score of 7.5 or above with no sub score lower than 7.0 is required.
- Application for Graduate Awards (PDF)
- A writing sample with Cover Sheet (PDF)
- A Departmental Financial Aid Application (PDF)
Materials to send to Admissions:
- A second set of your official academic records/transcripts (current and former UI students do not need to provide UI transcripts)
- Your official GRE scores from Educational Testing Service (the University's institutional code is 6681)
- International students must send their TOEFL or IELTS scores to comply with the university's English language proficiency requirements.
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement.
If you Apply Online, the $60 application fee ($100 for international students) is payable by Discover, MasterCard, or Visa. If you cannot pay by credit card, you may Download & Print an Application (PDF) and pay the fee by check or money order in U.S. currency made payable to "The University of Iowa."