Integrated Biology (PhD)
The PhD in Integrated Biology is awarded by the Graduate College. Instruction is offered through the UI College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
Applicants must meet the Admission Requirements of the Graduate College and the department offering the degree program (review the Integrated Biology Program web site or the General Catalog for departmental requirements).
Estimated Cost of Attendance
Tuition and fees vary by degree program and the type of student you are.
For the Integrated Biology Graduate Program of the Department of Biology, students admitted to the PhD program are guaranteed at least $25,500 per calendar year through graduate assistantships, plus a full-tuition scholarship and paid University fees and low-cost health care insurance premiums. This applies to both U.S. citizens and international applicants.
- Fall Semester—January 1
- Spring Semester—not offered
- Summer Session—not offered
To apply to this degree program, you will need to submit some application materials to your academic department and some to the Office of Admissions.
Materials to send to the department:
- Visit the Integrated Biology Program web site and follow the instructions in the Check List.
(current and former UI students do not need to provide UI transcripts)
- Application for Graduate Awards (PDF)
- Additional requirements pertaining to letters of recommendation and statements of interest or purpose are listed on the Integrated Biology Program Web Site
Materials to send to Admissions:
- A second set of your official academic records/transcripts (current and former UI students do not need to provide UI transcripts)
- Your official GRE scores from Educational Testing Service (the University's institutional code is 6681).
- International students may also be required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores to comply with the university's English Language Proficiency Requirements.
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement.
If you Apply Online, the $60 application fee ($100 for international students) is payable by Discover, MasterCard, or Visa. If you cannot pay by credit card, you may Download and Print an Application (PDF) and pay the fee by check or money order in U.S. currency made payable to "The University of Iowa."
U.S. citizens with GRE scores (verbal plus quantitative) of at least 1200 and a grade-point average of 3.00 (on a 4.00 scale) or better can apply to the Department of Biology for a Reimbursement of the Application Fee.