Integrated Biology (MS)
The MS in Integrated Biology is awarded by the Graduate College. Instruction is through the UI College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. The MS is awarded with or without a thesis (although the MS without thesis degree is exclusively an exit degree).
Applicants must meet the Admission Requirements of the Graduate College and the department offering the degree program (review the department's web site or the General Catalog for departmental requirements).
Prior to formally applying to the MS program through the Office of Admissions (and paying the requisite application fee), MS applicants are advised to correspond with and receive assurances of laboratory affiliation from a Department of Biology faculty member. This may entail sending informal transcripts/grade reports and requested documentation to the faculty member. In addition, any assurance from the proposed faculty mentor would be conditional on the approval of the formal application by the Department's Graduate Admissions Committee.
Estimated Cost of Attendance
Tuition and fees vary by degree program and the type of student you are.
For the Department of Biology, students admitted to the MS with thesis program can receive $17,000 per academic year (fall and spring semesters) through graduate assistantships, plus a full tuition scholarship and low-cost health care insurance premiums. Summer stipend support may also be provided, if available. This applies to both U.S. citizens and international applicants.
- Fall Semester—January 1
- Spring Semester—not offered
- Summer Session—not offered
The graduate application process has two steps
- You must first submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants).
- Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an email instructing you on how to upload your supporting documents and submit letters of recommendation. A few programs require materials be sent directly to them. However, almost all supplemental material can and should be uploaded from your Admissions Profile on Iowa Student Information System, our online service center for applicants and students. You can only access this AFTER you have submitted your application.
Degree Program Supplemental Materials
- Application for Graduate Awards
The application requirement section of your Profile includes an electronic letter of recommendation feature. If your program of study requires letters of recommendation, you will be asked to give the contact information of your recommenders including their email on your Admissions Profile. The recommender will then get an email giving them instructions on how to upload the recommendation letter and/or form.
- Three letters of recommendation
Materials to send to Admissions
- A set of your official academic records/transcripts (current and former UI students do not need to provide UI transcripts)
- Your official GRE scores from Educational Testing Service (the University's institutional code is 6681).
- International students may also be required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores to comply with the university's English Language Proficiency Requirements.
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement.
Apply Online, the $60 application fee ($100 for international students) is payable by Discover, MasterCard, or Visa.