Foreign Language & ESL Education (PhD)
The PhD in teaching and learning with a focus in foreign language & ESL education is awarded by the Graduate College.
Applicants must meet the Admission Requirements of the Graduate College and the department offering the degree program (review the department's web site or the General Catalog for departmental requirements).
Estimated Cost of Attendance
Tuition and fees vary by degree program and the type of student you are.
- Fall semester admission—April 1 (Due dates for consideration for funding is January 25 for fall consideration.)
- Spring semester admission—October 1
- Summer session admission—not offered
The graduate application process has two steps
- You must first submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants).
- Submit supplemental materials required by your degree program. A few programs require materials be sent directly to them. However, almost all supplemental material can and should be uploaded from your Admissions Profile on the Iowa Student Information System, our online service center for applicants and students.
Degree Program Supplemental Materials
- Evidence of two years of successful teaching experience
- A sample of your academic writing
- A statement of purpose explaining your professional goals
- All documents are to be submitted in English.
The application requirement section of your Profile includes an electronic letter of recommendation feature. If your program of study requires letters of recommendation, you will be asked to give the contact information of your recommenders including their email on your Admissions Profile. The recommender will then get an email giving them instructions on how to upload the recommendation letter and/or form.
- Three letters of recommendation
Materials to send to Admissions
- A set of A set of your unofficial academic records/transcripts uploaded on your Admissions Profile
- Your official GRE scores from Educational Testing Service (the University's institutional code is 6681).
- International students may also be required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores to comply with the university's English Language Proficiency Requirements.
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement.
Apply Online, the $60 application fee ($100 for international students) is payable by Discover, MasterCard, or Visa.