Foreign Language & ESL Education (MA, MAT)
The MA and the MAT in Teaching and Learning with a focus in Foreign Language & ESL Education are awarded by the Graduate College. The MA and the MAT are non-thesis degrees. The University also offers a PhD in Foreign Language & ESL Education.
Applicants must meet the Admission Requirements of the Graduate College and the department offering the degree program (review the department's web site or the General Catalog for departmental requirements).
Estimated Cost of Attendance
Tuition and fees vary by degree program and the type of student you are.
For the MA program:
- Fall Semester admission—April 1; March 1 if you wish to be considered for departmental financial assistance (April 15 for international students)
- Spring Semester—not offered
- Summer Session—not offered
For the MAT program:
- Fall Semester—March 1
- Spring Semester—October 1
- Summer Session—March 1
To apply to this degree program, you will need to submit some application materials to your academic department and some to the Office of Admissions.
Materials to send to the department:
- Your official academic records/transcripts (current and former UI students do not need to provide UI transcripts)
- At least three Letters of Recommendation (PDF)
- A statement of purpose explaining your graduate study and professional goals (MA applicants only)
- A Teacher Education Program Application (MAT/Certificate applicants only)
Materials to send to Admissions:
- A second set of your official academic records/transcripts (current and former UI students do not need to provide UI transcripts)
- Your official GRE scores from Educational Testing Service (the University's institutional code is 6681).
- International students must send their official TOEFL scores from Educational Testing Service (the University's institutional code is 6681).
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement.
If you Apply Online, the $60 application fee ($100 for international students) is payable by Discover, MasterCard, or Visa. If you cannot pay by credit card, you may Download and Print an Application (PDF) and pay the fee by check or money order in U.S. currency made payable to "The University of Iowa."