Asian Civilization (MA)
The MA in Asian Civilization is awarded by the Graduate College. The degree is offered with or without a thesis.
Applicants must meet the Admission Requirements of the Graduate College and the department offering the degree program (review the department's web site or the General Catalog for departmental requirements).
Estimated Cost of Attendance
Tuition and fees vary by degree program and the type of student you are.
- Fall semester—April 15 (February 1 priority date to be considered for financial aid)
- Spring semester—October 1 (February 1 priority date to be considered for financial aid)
- Summer session—not offered
The graduate application process has two steps
- Submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants).
- Submit supplemental materials required by your degree program. A few programs require materials be sent directly to them. However, almost all supplemental material can and should be uploaded from your Admissions Profile on ISIS, our online service center for applicants and students.
Degree Program Supplemental Materials
- A research paper
- A statement of purpose
- Application for Graduate Awards
- A Teaching Assistant Application
The application requirement section of your Profile includes an electronic letter of recommendation feature. If your program of study requires letters of recommendation, you will be asked to give the contact information of your recommenders including their email on your Admissions Profile. The recommender will then get an email giving them instructions on how to upload the recommendation letter and/or form.
- Three letters of recommendation
Materials to send to Admissions
- A set of your official academic records/transcripts (current and former UI students do not need to provide UI transcripts)
- Your official GRE scores from Educational Testing Service (the University's institutional code is 6681).
- International students may also be required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores to comply with the university's English Language Proficiency Requirements.
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement.
If you Apply Online, the $60 application fee ($100 for international students) is payable by Discover, MasterCard, or Visa.
Division of World Languages, Literatures & Cultures
Department of Asian & Slavic Languages & Literatures
The University of Iowa
111 Phillips Hall
Iowa City, IA 52242
Office of Admissions
The University of Iowa
107 Calvin Hall
Iowa City, IA 52242-1396