Art (MA or MFA)
The MA and the MFA in Art are awarded by the Graduate College. The MA is awarded with or without a thesis.
Applicants must meet the Admission Requirements of the Graduate College and the department offering the degree program (review the department's web site or the General Catalog for departmental requirements).
Estimated Cost of Attendance
Tuition and fees vary by degree program and the type of student you are.
- Fall Semester—January 1
- Spring Semester—not offered
- Summer Session—January 1
The graduate application process has two steps
- You must first submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants).
- Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an email instructing you on how to upload your supporting documents and submit letters of recommendation. A few programs require materials be sent directly to them. However, almost all supplemental material can and should be uploaded from your Admissions Profile on Iowa Student Information System, our online service center for applicants and students. You can only access this AFTER you have submitted your application.
Degree Program Supplemental Materials
- A one- to two-page statement of purpose
- A portfolio (see Portfolio Specifications in the General Catalog)
- A self-addressed, stamped envelope for return of your portfolio
- Application for Graduate Awards
- A Departmental Scholarship/Fellowship Application
The application requirement section of your Profile includes an electronic letter of recommendation feature. If your program of study requires letters of recommendation, you will be asked to give the contact information of your recommenders including their email on your Admissions Profile. The recommender will then get an email giving them instructions on how to upload the recommendation letter and/or form.
- Three letters of recommendation
Materials to send to Admissions
- A set of your unofficial academic records/transcripts uploaded on your Admissions Profile. If you are admitted, official transcripts will be required before your enrollment.
- International students may also be required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores to comply with the university's English Language Proficiency Requirements. Applicants whose first or official language is not English and whose previous academic degrees were not earned at an English-language institution must score as follows on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): for studio art applicants, at least 550 (paper-based), 213 (computer-based), or 81 (Internet-based); for art history applicants, at least 600 (paper-based), 250 (computer-based), or 100 (Internet-based). All applicants must have a minimum iBT speaking score of 26* and a listening score of 25. Your application will not be reviewed if scores are lower than requirements.
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement.
Apply Online, the $60 application fee ($100 for international students) is payable by Discover, MasterCard, or Visa.